There is a moment every Lewes winter when you can’t uncover the cause of the draft in your home. It could possibly be emanating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed properly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uneasy and frosty, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
Consistent with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help cut back and decrease drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s important to be able to identify where these window drafts might be located and why. Here are some useful tips to find your Lewes home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Search for gaps and fractures in strange points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the typical windows with workable abilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Inspect to confirm that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket by the workable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Inspect the installation by establishing if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only function as well as it is set up.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Lewes to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to attend to the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Lewes a call at 757-294-8091 with any further questions or prospective replacement needs.